Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Inspiration Wave: Blog 2

_______
NUGGET

Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting. -Unknown

_____
STONE

My darling girl, when are you going to understand that normalcy is not necessarily a virtue, it rather denotes a lack of courage.
-From The Movie "Practical Magic"

_______
PONDER

In a recent article I read, I was given permission for a week to be my abnormal self. I was encouraged to find the courage to be goofy or strange or silly or bizarre. The article said I might freak some people out, but others would welcome the opportunity to remove their own "normal" masks and join me in being “real”.

At first I thought I was not taking advantage of the permission, but what happened is I realized I had not been acting myself to begin with. I had caught myself exhausted from masquerading around as someone I was not. I had become a part of the norm – moody, opinionated, and most of all, irritable. I found myself throwing away relationships I had worked so hard to build, losing sight of my dreams, aspirations, and goals. I was unhappy and the article actually provoked me to be proactive and allowed me to understand and remember that normalcy is not necessarily a virtue, it rather denotes a lack of courage. I had lost my courage, my will to fight, and as a result I was throwing the people and dreams I hold so dearly out the window and frustratingly trying to act a role I was not fit for.

I was intrigued by the idea that I could freak people out, and I think I did that, but the person I freaked out the most was myself. I am a goofy, strange, silly, and bizarre guy, and I intend to stay that way. With the courage I have built up, I plan to jump in the ring for another round of being the real me, and if I ever become a fake, that I nor others can stand, I hope I get knocked the fuck out!

I encourage you to find the courage to be goofy or strange or silly or bizarre. Freak some people out or take control of the advantage, like I did myself, and realize who the real you is.

Benjamin

3 comments:

  1. I love your quotes Ben! I truly believe the one from Practical Magic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your abnormal self Mr.Benjamin. Never change who you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you enjoy the quotes as much as I do Miss Alice. And I could never change who I am Liz, I would miss my abnormal self too much!

    ReplyDelete